Wednesday 16 October 2013

Here's my new watch

I needed a new wristwatch.

My previous, a particularly convincing TAG Heuer counterfeit which captured the obnoxious over-design really quite accurately (less can be said for the time it kept), met its demise in some kind of drunken fall. I'm not sure of the details, I woke after a good old booze-up and it was hanging off my wrist in bits.

A few weeks ago I was window shopping and came across Fossil and their fantastic range of fancy looking timepieces, all around the £100 mark. I'd found my watch, or at least I'd found a few to choose from but I would think about it and come back a week later to buy.

Unluckily for Fossil, in the subsequent week I had my money-saving epiphany and suddenly £100 for a watch seemed absurd. Especially one that isn't water resistant.

This led me to look for something cheaper, tougher and simpler and I ended up with the cheapest, toughest, simplest and coolest fucking watch on the planet. For £11.55.

This little bastard will travel the world



Can a watch be described as 'timeless'? Certainly the Casio F-91W has survived more than 20 years of changing fashion and technological progress to remain a massive selling product.

The F-91W can be bracketed with the Adidas Gazelle, the Swiss Army Knife and Magic Trees as a product with an enduring appeal to men who can take care of business.

Its continued popularity is ode to an elegant economy, a no-nonsense build that shines like a beacon, a tiny green beacon, in a world with an abundance of over-sized, over-designed and over-prices timepieces.

It remains iconic in a time of ever-changing icons. Its cult fed by a vast appeal from fathers to fashionistas, from teenagers to terrorists.

This unassuming, tough little watch has never pretended to be anything more than an accurate, affordable digital watch but somewhere along the line it became cool.

Truly the Casio F-91W is the watch of our times.

No comments:

Post a Comment